Friday, April 3, 2020

The quarantine continues....

Making Headway

     So I'm into week 2 of the "safer at home" quarantine and I'm actually getting a lot done.  Who would have guessed that "hobby time" is really similar to "safer at home"?  I've primed up a lot of darkest africa minis and I challenged myself to finish something substantial so I am pushing to finish the last of my Brittania 28mm Somalis I purchased years ago and have poked at for a while.  I'm down to my last 5!  Next challenge after that is done will be the rest of my modern africa forces, mostly irregulars.  Now for the stuff I've finished!  More buildings were completed which not only clears room in my model room but also starts to bring down my mdf pile. 

Charlie Foxtrot Russian house


The Wild Geese set's airport terminal

Another piece of Mantic's Mars Attacks ruins.

A couple of Mantic wells from their terrain crate.
That's it for completed things.  I only count minis once they are based and put in a box, that means 50 guys are going to be showing up on here along with some more scatter.
     Seeing people post FB pics of games got me moving to clear of the RPG gear, since we aren't meeting face-face, and start putzing around with my rules.  I read a lot of rules but don't play them so they don't get a test drive normally, but that's changing!  I set up a small African village that will be my test bed for modern rules, starting with Skirmish Sangin.  This will be a solo game focusing more on mechanics and process than scenario balance.  It also gave me a push to pull out my modern Africa figures and see what I really have, and what I can finish to finally put a cap on one period's forces.
Overall view of the table

My africans! Nam SF on upper portion.
I'm going to use my 'Nam SF minis as the attacker and I'll pull out enough irregulars to make it interesting.  In the second pic on the lower-right are my Brittania Somalis, going clockwise are Eureka ZANLA, hostage minis in the field, some somalis I got off TMP  (tan round bases) and in the center by the tree are my TAG African forces.  Way on the left by are some more Brittania Somalis, civilians this time.  The huts and foliage were made by me with the exception of a couple of trees.  The cars are diecasts from Menards.  The market stalls are Mantic and the well is an Acheson piece.  The pig sty is from Things From the Basement's Russian village set.

No comments:

Post a Comment